Monday, November 29, 2010

Brilliant (re) branding



I saw this ad while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It caught by eye as the pilot was speaking, and I thought it might be an ad for the U.S. Army. Then, it cut to an older woman painting. "Okay, too old to be in the Army. Is this some kind of non-profit for empowering girls? But what non-profit could afford this prime-time ad spot?"

It wasn't until the fiftieth second of this sixty second spot that I saw a Barbie doll, and it's pretty subtle. The final frame is straight forward and clean. No pink. No frills. "Over 125 careers and counting. Barbie."

Pretty brilliant, I think.

Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult to find the ad online. In fact, my search first led me to the ad below (exactly the type of branding that Barbie is trying to move beyond - note final zoom in on Barbie as bride). So where's the "When I grow up" portion of the Mattel website? The profiles of successful women and their first Barbie dolls? The descriptions of Barbie sponsored scholarships and girls summer camps? Come on, Mattel! You're on to something here! I'd love to see more!


No comments: