Tuesday, January 4, 2011

When the show shuts down


Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre have photographed abandoned and repurposed auditoriums built in the early twentieth century on the profits of America's early entertainment industry. The photos are hauntingly beautiful and make me a little sad. They just don't make enough ceilings like this one any more.

Wouldn't it be magical to see live music here?

(photo of Fabian Theater in Paterson by Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre via Laughing Squid)

2 comments:

Claire said...

Oh, I think I saw some photos like this the other day - of buildings in Detroit. I was amazed to see they'd been abandoned but new buildings had been put up around them, with people walking around outside. I had imagined the whole area would be abandoned but I suppose it's just too expensive to renovate or even salvage things from them. Though someone's had those theatre seats! Lovely blog!

Kimia Kline said...

i can never get enough of old buildings like this. there are so many in san francisco that are absolutely stunning and completely empty. its heartbreaking!